Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Light-to-Medium

Yesterday, while we were watching television, I was told/reminded by Jared that I am a minority. After some contemplation and a lot of laughter I thank him for reminding me, I really did forget that fact. Some times I think of myself as just the weirdo who learned to pronounce words differently.
Every time I'm looking at statistics for anythings, schools, housing districts, etc I look at the percentage of Latinos in that area (note how I wrote "Latinos" instead of "Hispanic" I've decided I don't like the latter term for its discriminative connotations). I want to move to a diversified area, I don't want my kids to be the only...I don't know what really, what are they anyway? So I looked closely and I found a new section when describing kids population in school, there is a subgroup label "multiracial" which is kind of funny to me since I think anybody could be classified as that or is it just me? But if it is me then so could my children. But then again I don't have a race anymore since Hispanic was decided not to be race in the last census, I felt like such a funny going back to marking white for race; I think I would be more comfortable being labeled as "nonracial" or maybe just "light-to-medium",or instead of trying so hard to find a racial label for myself just mark "other" but "other" is so impersonal, it sounds very "I don't belong", so it is back to "light-to-medium" because that is what I look like.

2 comments: